Our mission Statement
To glorify God and show people the way of salvation in Jesus Christ through praying, preaching, teaching, witnessing, serving and giving sacrificially with enthusiastic and joyful Christ-like love.
Our core beliefs
- God created all things for His glory.
- The Bible is the inspired Word of God.
- God is Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- Jesus Christ is the Son of God and the only way to salvation.
- The Holy Spirit dwells within us to convict, cleanse, comfort, and empower us.
- Each believer is given spiritual gifts to be used in service and ministry.
- Heaven and Hell are real places.
- All have sinned.
- Salvation is a free gift.
- As children of God, we are promised eternal life with God in Heaven.
- Jesus Christ will one day return.
- Prayer is powerful.
- God loves YOU.
What makes us reformed?
Sully First Reformed Church belongs to the Alliance of Reformed Churches. The Alliance is a community of congregations who join together as friends and partners in Christ, seeking first the Kingdom of God with the presence and power of the Holy Spirit. Pursuing unrelentingly innovative ways to engage a changing world with the Good News of Jesus Christ. Embracing the diversity of the human experience under obedience to Christ our King. We are "Reformed" because we trace our identity back to the Reformation of the 1500's when Martin Luther and John Calvin determined the church need to be re-formed and continually reforming according to God's Word. Our faith is centered in Christ.
- The final authority is the Bible.
- We are saved by grace alone through faith. Our good works don't earn our salvation but are a way to thank God for this free gift of salvation.
- Two sacraments are celebrated: Baptism and the Lord's supper. They remind us of God's promises to us and help us claim those promises as our own.
- We do not believe that the act of baptism saves a person. Baptism of infants symbolizes the presence of the Holy Spirit beginning a work and inclusion in a local church family. Baptism of believers symbolizes the washing away of our sins through the blood of Christ and demonstrates our union with Christ in His death and resurrection.
- We are confessional, which means that we have statements of belief, called creeds (Apostle's Creed, Nicene Creed, etc.) and confessions (Heidelberg Catechism, Belgic Confession, etc.) which guide our understanding of faith.
To learn more about The Alliance, please visit https://arc21.org
What must i do to be saved?
- I must know I'll face God after I die. Hebrews 9:27
- I am a sinner. Romans 6:23
- I must believe in Jesus Christ to be saved. 2 Corinthians 5:21
- I must know only God's grace can save me. Ephesians 2:8-9
- I must confess my sins and acknowledge Christ as my savior. Acts 16:31
What happens when i say "yes" to Jesus?
- Salvation is immediate.
- Salvation is certain.
- Salvation is a personal relationship with Jesus.
- Salvation is forever.
How can i join first reformed as a member?
- By profession of faith in Christ.
- By transfer of letter (if your previous church membership is honored this way).
- By reaffirmation- by attendance and worship if having a background in church that doesn't have the tradition of transfer by letter.
- Contact the Pastor, an elder, or the church office if interested in becoming a member of Sully First Reformed Church!